There are two separate Cemeteries at St Marys’. The obvious one surrounds the church and the burials date from the early church site. They include many of the retainers from the local Harlech estates , that were between Selattyn and Oswestry, but mostly based on Brogyntyn. On the right of the lychgate is an area reserved for cremated ashes. Any enquiries for this area can be made to the Church Wardens, or the Vicar.
The so called New Cemetery is beyond and below the northern wall, with a separate entrance off the lane. It dates from 1890, and is sometimes known as the Harlech Cemetery. The Harlech family still use the section at the bottom of the cemetery for family internments. This is the only active area now, with the remaining land being fully occupied and therefore “closed” . Some 600 souls are interred there, including many double burials. This is a lovely peaceful space for visitors to visit and enjoy.
In the New Cemetery it is possible to add memorial stones or have “double” burials on application to the Trustees, who manage this cemetery (NB not held under St Mary’s administration).
Please contact Tim Kirk on 01691 653332 or firstname.lastname@example.org